My mom’s banana bread is one of the many things that my mom makes that I just prefer her version. So here’s her recipe, which after posting to Instagram a few months ago people keep asking for!
The ingredients for my mom’s banana bread recipe are usually staples… and if you’re like me, you’re here because those bananas on the counter are past their prime!
- ⅓ c. shortening or unsalted butter
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ c. sifted flour (need a flour sifter? I have this $9 one from Amazon and it’s great)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c. mashed bananas (about three bananas)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening or butter and sugar; add eggs and beat well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with mashed bananas, blending well after each addition.
- Pour into a well-greased loaf pan (or use mini loaf pans).
- Bake in 350° oven for 45-50 minutes until done (or about 20-25 minutes for mini loaves, check with toothpick or butter knife, they should come out clean).
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and let set a few minutes before removing from the pan and putting on a cooling rack.
Want to change it up? A lot of people love adding chocolate chips or walnuts (or both!) to their banana bread recipe. I’ve been tempted to add in butterscotch chips but haven’t done it yet…the simplicity of this recipe is part of what I love about it so much!
What do you like to add to your banana bread? Leave a comment below and let me know!